Monday, December 12, 2011

Dr. Brownback and Joseph


     I will always look back at my Bible College years as a time of discipleship in my life. Those years still mean the world to me. Mr. Smith, had been a pastor in a town where I would later minister at years later. He was so practical in his approach to the ministry that to this day I am still applying principles he taught. Mr. Glasser, taught me more about the Spirit filled life than any man I have ever known. My greatest joy was seeing how he also lived it and still lives it today.

     Then there was Dr. Brownback. Well educated, disciplined, philosophical and a godly example. When looking at the two of us in the same room, there would be no doubt in anyone’s mind that we are two different people. I remember his prayers, advice and wisdom through the years for not only me but for my family. One time after my heart was broken over a girl he took me to the side. He not only prayed for me but just sat there and listened. Here he is a college president who was beyond busy, but he took time out of his schedule to listen to me. I also remember a time when he saw me on his sofa in Tulsa. I believe I was reading from his son’s Far Side book. He sat down by me and within five minutes we were both rolling and laughing over what we had read.

     Today, my heart was broken over some news that we had received. You know what I mean, those times when your world like Rich Mullins said, “Doesn’t make any sense at all.” I began to despair when I remembered one of my classes from the book of Genesis that Dr. Brownback had taught. He was doing a quick overview of the life of Joseph.

     Dr. Brownback went up to the chalk board and drew a line with several peaks and valleys. “Class, you want a picture of Joseph’s life? Well here it is.” Dr. Brownback said. That one little line came back to haunt me today. He also brought up this is the norm for the Christian life. Yet, Joseph remained a constant steady line through it all.

     What was Dr. Brownback saying? Well if you take a look at Joseph’s life in the book of Genesis, I think you will understand. I would like to just kind of give you the big picture about this amazing man’s journey with his God.

1.       Gen. 37:1-3 Loved and exalted by his Father but by Gen. 37:4-36 he is sold into slavery by his own brothers. (The peak and the valley.)

2.       In Gen. 39:1-20 even though Joseph is sold into slavery the Lord was with Joseph. He becomes successful in the house of Potiphar and oversees his household. Right when things are looking up for Joseph he is falsely accused of rape by Potiphar’s wife. Potiphar enraged throws him into prison where the king’s prisoners are confined. He is left to be forgotten and to rot away far from home. (The peak and the valley.)

3.       Gen. 39:21-40:23 In prison we are told that the Lord was with Joseph and he would be put in charge of the prisoners by the keeper. While Joseph was overseeing these men, he noticed that two of the men seemed downcast. Joseph finds out that these men were troubled by some dreams that they had. I love how Joseph takes no credit for his ability to interpret the dreams but says, “Do not interpretations belong to God?” He hears the dreams and then correctly tells them what they mean. (The peak: His ability to interpret the dream)  All that he asks is that they will remember him. One of the men is put to death, while the other is once again exalted to be the chief cupbearer to the Pharaoh.  The kicker to it all is that the cupbearer does not remember Joseph but forgets him for another two years. (The valley.)

4.       Gen. 41 Pharaoh is having troubles in falling to sleep. He is having terrible nightmares about seven healthy cows eaten by seven ugly and thin ones. Seven plumb ears of grain were also swallowed up by seven blighted thin ears. He wants to know what it all means. The cupbearer remembers Joseph and Pharaoh has Joseph brought before him. Once again like he did earlier Joseph states, “It is not in me, God will give a favorable answer to Pharaoh.” All the glory belongs to Jesus would have been Joseph’s words today. He then reveals what it all meant. Even Pharaoh gets it,  this man was surrounded by God. Note what he says, “Can we find a man like this, in whom is the Spirit of God?” Pharaoh would make Joseph only second in power to him in all of Egypt.

When Joseph would name his second son, he would call him Ephraim. He called him this because, “God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction.” His first son was called Manasseh because, “God has made me forget all my hardship and all my father’s house.” Yet by the end of the book all of Joseph’s family would be restored to him. He forgave them and brought them out of famine.
Joseph did not try to sugar coat it all. He knew that his older brother’s motives were not pure. Like Jesus though, he would forgive their trespassers and bring them into his arms. This is why he could later on state, “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good.”

     You know it truly is about perspective and sometimes our life doesn’t make any sense at all. Yet, when we are, “shaking like a leaf.” as Rich Mullins stated. We can also cry out, “So hold me Jesus.” Well what do you mean by that? Here is the beauty of Joseph’s life in the midst of all his trials Joseph knew some important things.  Look at these verses….

1.       Genesis 39:2 The Lord was with Joseph and he became a successful man.
2.       Genesis 39:21 But the Lord was with Joseph and showed him steadfast love.
3.       Genesis 39:23 The                Lord was with him.

       Joseph never lost sight that God was with him. He knew that the times and situations were hard and extremely uncomfortable. Yet, Joseph did not lose sight of who was in control. Even in the darkest of hours and times God will mean it for good. Today, I might not understand why or even ask when will it ever end? I might get discouraged, but these two things I know, the Lord is with me in His steadfast love and that God will mean it all for my good.

     Dr. Brownback, thank you for that line that you drew for our class so many years ago. I will forever be grateful.
Wait a second!! The skies of Wyoming look like the skies of anywhere else. INCREDIBLE.

No comments: