Saturday, March 3, 2012

Vance and the art of walking slow


  I love Vance Havner. I know, by me even bringing up that name in today’s culture many of you are saying, “Who?” When I first went to Citadel Bible College I had a friend who introduced me to A.W. Tozer, that introduction forever changed my life. Tozer talked about a deeper relationship with Christ and he was unashamed to talk about the Spirit of God in fundamental circles. Vance on the other hand was a true southern boy who began preaching when he was only twelve. He would sometimes catch trains to get to some local churches and his dad would wait for him at the end of the evening to take him back home. His preaching was fearless. Billy Graham loved his quotes more than any other preacher.

     One of the statements that Havner made that I read over 25 years ago still haunts my soul today. He stated how that as human beings that we needed to learn, “the art of walking slow.” Now that is a pretty odd statement to remember after all of these years. Let me tell you why it did and still has an impact on my life even today.

     Havner grew up in an era in which the world that he lived in moved at a much slower pace. People sat out on their porches and talked with one another at night. Here is a wild thought, they would even take time out of their day to READ. They would rather do things right, then carelessly, in which the king of mediocrity reigns.

     Once again I realize that there must be a balance to all things. I know that there are some who will always find an excuse for laziness or even, “now let’s don’t rock the boat.” Doing little for the kingdom of God seems to be also the chant of the masses. In the words of one of my old teachers, “Faithfulness to God and His kingdom should not become an excuse for using a teaspoon when we should use a bulldozer.” This is not true faithfulness but rather an excuse for not getting on with the work of God.

     Havner was no “slow ride” for the kingdom. He preached his heart out diligently for years and would so if memory serves me right clean into his mid to late eighties and even then it was because the Lord took him home. No, when Havner talked about the Art of Walking Slow he was referring to how we often forget that the Lord wants us to learn to walk slowly with Him.

     One of the most refreshing things for me in this world is when I am able to just sit down or to take a walk with a friend. I don’t want to hurry the situation. I want to spend my time in laughter, tears, prayer and getting to know the other individual. I want to get to know them and hopefully even grow old together with them. I want that time to become precious to me. Let me explain a little more by some practical things that I enjoy in my life.

     For many of you who know me, you know that I love a good cup of tea or some form of Dark Roast Coffee. (This is true especially if that Coffee is named Community Coffee. Yes, this is a shameless message to my Louisiana brothers and sisters, please for all that is right and good, send me a PACKAGE. J) I hate it when I have to hurry and drink it. I want to enjoy it. We eat a lobster about once a year and when I do, I want to slowly taste each bite and feel the warmth of it. I want to sit with a friend on the front porch and enjoy the taste of a good crawfish in my mouth.

     As many of you know I want God to answer my prayers NOW for a church or a ministry to open up. I want to preach and share His Word more than anything else in the world. I feel empty when I do not. Yet, I want everyone to know that I can’t think of anyone that I would rather walk with now. I want to enjoy Him and grow old with Him.

     When the whole world goes nuts and even when things seem “unfair” or “not the way I thought it would be.” I want to learn the Art of Walking Slow with Him. It all seems to be moving so fast doesn’t it? It’s like one day we were using the, “advanced electric typewriter,” and now we can communicate to thousands over the internet. We are in a hurry quite often and quite honestly, in a hurry to get nowhere. We need to learn to hold to His unchanging hand. We need to learn to walk, rather than to run through the things that He is trying to teach us. I want to stop and listen to His voice. I want to make sure that I am hearing His Word and that I am allowing it to slowly pierce every part of my inner man.

     The weather here in Nebraska has been very mild this winter. We had one big snowfall in our area. (How I thank Him for this issue, I really do not like cleaning up snow.) My mother-in-law Pat told me that come tomorrow it should be in the 60s. Sixties, are you nuts!! I don’t know what tomorrow is going to bring but this I do know. I want to get outside just for a bit and walk around for a while.

     Two thousand years ago our Savior walked among men. It’s a simple statement but what a trip it must have been to just walk side by side with Him visibly here on earth. To hear the master’s voice. To watch Him smile and say, “Let the little children come to me.”  To hear the Roar of the Lion of the tribe of Judah as He cleansed the temple.  To walk with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The best part of this truth though, is even though I cannot see Him or feel His hand, I can still walk with Him even today. May you enjoy the walk with Him.

No comments: