Tuesday, March 13, 2012

PSALMS 22 THE SUFFERING SAVIOR


     When I have been asked the question, “What has Jesus ever done for me?” I have always been reminded of Psalms 22 more than almost any other passage in the Bible. I have stood in awe and wept over this passage as well as Isaiah 53 when I think about what He has done for us. Let me share with you some of the things that still stand out to me when I read this passage.

Psalms 22:1 ( ESV )

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?

·         I think it was Luther who first said, “God forsaken of God. What an incredible thought.” The most perfect of all relationships for a set time was cut off. The agony that our Jesus must have gone through as He had our sin placed upon Him. I look at these words and the following verses and sense the utter loneliness that our Savior must have gone through. It is especially telling when we read verse 4-5 and see how that sinful man who trusted in God would be heard and rescued, and not put to shame. Yet, our Savior now felt forsaken by the Father.


Psalms 22:6-8 ( ESV )

6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people.

7 All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads;

8 “He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!”

·         Not only did our Savior sense the loss of fellowship with His Father. He now would sense the scorn of His creation as they would treat Him like a common worm. He would be mocked by the guards, the religious leaders of the day and even those who would mock Him as He writhed in agony upon the cross.
·         As they mocked Him and scorned Him about being delivered from the cross. Little did they know that He would be delivered in a way that would change the world. The work would be finished and the Father truly would delight in the completed work and He would rise again.


Psalms 22:12-13 ( ESV )

12 Many bulls encompass me; strong bulls of Bashan surround me;

13 they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion.

·         The imagery in these 2 verses is incredible as our Lord’s enemies are compared to that of wild animals who are seeking to devour Him. I am reminded of Peter’s warning when he tells us how that our adversary the Devil seeks us like a roaring lion who wants to devour us. These men wanted to devour him as well.


Psalms 22:14-15 ( ESV )

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast;

15 my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death.

·         One of the cruelest things that can happen to a man is to see them denied water. Our Lord was ripped wide open to such a point that the Bible tells us you could not even tell that He was a man. The heat and pain that must have poured through His body as nerves were exposed and laid bare was more intense than we could ever imagine. He the Living water of the world would cry out, “I thirst.”
·         He is exhausted as He has been up all night through the trials and the beatings. His strength is gone dried up like a potsherd.


Psalms 22:16-18 ( ESV )

16 For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet£

17 I can count all my bones— they stare and gloat over me;

18 they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.

·         Once again His enemies are compared to wild animals. Here in this verse they surround Him like a pack of wild dogs. They have circled about Him. When I think of this passage I am reminded of C.S. Lewis masterpiece, “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.” As Aslan is laid upon the stone table and all of the White Witch’s evil followers dance about Him, mocking the king who with just one breath could have destroyed them all. Our savior could see the crowd stare and gloat over Him. He could have called ten thousand angels but instead He bled and died for us.

·         To be stripped of our clothing before all men and to have to stand in front of them all was truly a humbling thing. Then if that insult was not enough, they would cast lots beneath his gaze over His very garments that He had worn.


Psalms 22:27-28 ( ESV )

27 All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you.

28 For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations.

·         As great as His suffering was I love how the Psalmist ends this Psalm. If you get the chance please read verses 22-31 and you will see the end of the story. Our Savior is ALIVE!!! We can tell of His name to our brothers and praise Him for what He has done. (22) We can stand in Awe of His wonderful salvation. (23) Because our Savior is alive He will not hide His face from us when we are afflicted. (24)

·         Two thousand years have come and gone and yet the earth still remembers what He has done and one day soon He will be exalted as King of Kings and Lord of Lords and the Ruler of all nations.

No comments: