Wednesday, June 15, 2011

True Reconciliation involves sacrifice. Col.1:21-23

Colossians 1:21-23 ( ESV )

21And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds,

22he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,

23if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation£ under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.


     I truly know that I have always needed peace with God. I am aware of my sin daily and that the only way I could have peace is through blood being shed on a cross. I needed a blood bought sacrifice. According to Paul I was alienated or "cut off," or "separated," from God.
     I was literally at war with the Holy One. I know this sounds hard for some people to take, but I hated Him. Well, someone might say, "That seems a little harsh." Really, Paul states that we were not only separated from Him, we were hostile towards him. How do I know this? I am a doer of evil deeds. I so often forget how my sin not only hurts others, but it offends God Himself, when I do evil.
     I am a creature who has been made no longer separate but  now I am made one with Him. Once again, it is not by my merit but because of His flesh being put to death. I need to be reminded that in all true reconciliations there is a sacrifice. This is where it gets even more mind blowing. It's completely all my fault but the INNOCENT party made a sacrifice for me.
     Why does he reconcile me? Not just so that I can be forgiven, but, He has a purpose for me. He wants me to bring glory to His name. He wants me to allow His Spirit to work through me. He wants to....

  • Present me as Holy
  • Present me as Blameless
  • Present me as one Above Reproach.
     We as a blood bought band need to continue in our faith. We need to be steadfast and not shifting from the hope of the Gospel that indwells us. I do not want to be a reed swayed by the wind but to remain firm to my commitment to Him.
     Paul, ministered the Gospel of reconciliation to the church at Colosse and to all that he came into contact with. I thank the Lord that not only am I reconciled to Him but I want to be steadfast for Him all the days of my life.

No comments: