Saturday, June 25, 2011

Return to Me. Neh. 1:6-11

Nehemiah 1:6-11 ( ESV )


6let your ear be attentive and your eyes open, to hear the prayer of your servant that I now pray before you day and night for the people of Israel your servants, confessing the sins of the people of Israel, which we have sinned against you. Even I and my father’s house have sinned.


7We have acted very corruptly against you and have not kept the commandments, the statutes, and the rules that you commanded your servant Moses.


8Remember the word that you commanded your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the peoples,


9but if you return to me and keep my commandments and do them, though your dispersed be under the farthest skies, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place that I have chosen, to make my name dwell there.’


10They are your servants and your people, whom you have redeemed by your great power and by your strong hand.


11O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of your servant, and to the prayer of your servants who delight to fear your name, and give success to your servant today, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man.”Now I was cupbearer to the king.
   
  I have sinned.  These are three of the hardest words in all of our vocabulary. We automatically choke as those words flow from our lips. They are so hard to say because we all stand guilty before God. When we say these words, we must humble ourselves before Him. Nehemiah knew that to be true in his life. Nehemiah also interceded for Israel and confessed their sins as a nation. Father, I have sinned.
  
   In this section of Nehemiah’s prayer, he speaks to the Lord, as one would to a human being. He implores the Lord to hear his following prayer. It's almost like a child who says to his Father, “Father, I need you to have your eyes wide open.” Please, pay attention to me as I come before you. The Living God does hear and His eyes see our greatest need. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

    We know that according to verse four that he had been mourning, weeping, fasting and praying for days. He had been in constant communion with him during these days of sorrow. He  not only prayed for himself but also for the people of Israel. Father, help me to be one of those who pray not only for my needs. Teach me to pray for those around me.
   
   Nehemiah not only prayed about the sins of Israel. Nehemiah in verse five also brings up his need for forgiveness. He had sinned against God as well. True, we can see the sins of others around us. The real issue though, is do we see our own sin. God, open my eyes to my sin. As the Psalmist prayed so do I, “Reveal to me my hidden sins.” I want my heart to be pure.

     I have broken every one of the laws of God. James declares that if I have broken just one of them, then I am guilty of all. The word for corruptly has the idea of one who has offended another. My sin has offended not only my fellow man, but more importantly my God. 

    We were told earlier in verse five that we have a God who will keep His promises. One of His promises as found in Leviticus 26:33, was that He would scatter His people, if they did not follow His commandments. He kept His word and scattered His people throughout the world. Our sins will have dire consequences. Do I really believe this?  Why do I believe that I can get away with my sin? God help me to deal with my arrogance. I am truly ashamed.
   
   There is hope though as we read the next verse. I can return to Him. I act as a prodigal and yet He will still ask me to come back home. When I come back humbled over my offensive attitudes, He as my Father, comes running to greet me. Though I have been scattered abroad, He says that I can come back home. Israel would come back to the land. They would regain their home once again. I also have disgraced His precious name with my sin. You and I though can repent and humble ourselves before Him. Once again I can now declare His name before all men.

    I come to Him as a servant. He is the one who has redeemed me from bondage. Lord, only you alone through your power and by your strong hand can deliver me. Teach me as you taught Nehemiah and Israel to truly fear your name.

     Nehemiah knew that the road ahead of him would be one of difficulty. He could not accomplish what needed to be done. He cries out to our God to give him success. He cries out to his God grant me mercy. This is not a prayer for us to live a successful life. Nehemiah wanted success so that God’s name might be glorified. He wanted success so that God’s people might be protected. May God show us this type of mercy in our lives. In Jesus Name. Amen."

Hannah really can smile!!

No comments: