Sunday, June 12, 2011

Colossians 1:3-8 The Gospel of Hope

Colossians 1:3-8 ( ESV )

3We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,

4since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints,

5because of the hope laid up for you in heaven. Of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel,

6which has come to you, as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing—as it also does among you, since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth,

7just as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow servant.£ He is a faithful minister of Christ on your£ behalf

8and has made known to us your love in the Spirit.




     Paul speaks about having a thankful heart of prayer in verse 3, but it is not so much for himself, rather it is being thankful for what the Lord has done in the lives of those at Colosse. Do I spend time in giving of thanks for what Christ is doing in the lives of others? 


     Paul thanks the Lord for their faith and how they demonstrated their love for all the saints. In examining my life, am I, an example to other believers in how I show forth my love. I have to ask myself, how do I visibly demonstrate my love for the saints?


  My love for other brothers should be a natural thing, because,I am one of those who have the hope of heaven. The doctrine of the teaching of heaven allows me often to look forward to a new day. A day in which all will be righted. A day in which I shall see the king. If I truly believe in heaven, my heart will rejoice for my brothers, and it will cause me to love them even more.


     Now to top it all off, I have this hope of heaven and surety of it not based on my righteousness, but rather because of the truth of the Gospel. His sacrifice makes the difference and gives me the hope of a glorious day with Him in eternity.


     This Gospel not only gives me hope and love but it will bear fruit in our life and grow within us from the day that we heard it and understood it.  What is it that we understand in this passage? That the gospel, is marked by the truth of Grace. The Gospel will always be about His grace. This is the Gospel that has redeemed me, saved me and bought me. When I think of the Gospel of grace I can sing aloud the old Squire Parsons song, "I Stand Amazed." This Gospel is not only mine, but the beauty of it all, is that it has spread through out the whole world.


     I must not forget that this Gospel is to be shared. Epaphras was a loved servant of God who had shared the Gospel. I believe Epaphras was loved because he had been faithful in sharing this Gospel of hope. 


     Help me Lord to be an encouragement to others by sharing how Christ has worked in the heart of my brothers. I am always blessed when I hear of the faith of others who have received the Gospel of truth. Lord, help me to be the one who will proclaim this glorious Gospel of hope.

No comments: