Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Various readings, endings and interesting things.

Well, today has already been a day of phone calls, prayer and tons of little things that I need to get done before our youth meeting  tonight. On the nightly reading schedule I have been doing a lot of catching up on my Ted Dekker stuff. So far in the last 2 1/2 weeks I have read Burn and Immanuel's Veins and about a third of the way through on the book Kiss. I don't always agree, but I love how Dekker writes and keeps me entranced by his story lines. Very few Christian writers esp. those of the fiction kind write as well. (I  also finished up the book 101 uses for a dead cat and finishing up on a book dealing with the Will of God.)

I'm getting close to finishing up our series on the Life of Peter as we are dealing with the resurrection accounts. I love Peter and his fire for the  honor of the Lord. When I look at him I am reminded of how the Lord wants to use us even though many times we are own worst enemy. After we finish that series up we will once again get back into the book of Matthew.

It's hard to believe just how beautiful the weather here is right now. This is the time of year that I love about Louisiana the most. The beauty of a nice warm day, (note warm not hot) and the coolness of the night.

One of the interesting things I have noted in many of the churches that we have looked into in our search for a new ministry is under their qualifications just how few put in their qualifications he needs to be a man of prayer. As noted earlier I struggle with being constant in prayer so I humble myself when I say these words. I also though believe that this is where we are sadly lacking. We as pastors can have all the education, (which is needed) all the study tools, and all the speaking ability in the world but without prayer we will never have the power of God resting upon our shoulders and within our lives.

One last thing, I looked at one of my old teen's facebook sites and he quoted this great quote from C.H. Spurgeon that I have always loved. "Oh my brothers and sisters in Christ, if sinners will be damned, at least let them leap to hell over our bodies and if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees, imploring them to stay, and no madly destroying themselves. If hell must be filled, at least let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for."

No comments: