Sunday, December 12, 2010

This little Light of Mine

Childhood songs seem to stick with us for a lifetime. We don’t forget simple songs that helped us understand basic truths about God and life. I am still reminded of Miss Peggy or Miss Elsie teaching us Bible songs at my grade school and in my Sunday School classrooms at Gravette Bible. The one that still stands out to me after all these years will always be This Little Light of Mine. As simple as that song stands out to me I am still reminded of the challenge to my Christian walk that it is to me daily.

There are those days when I don’t feel like letting it shine or I might even try to hide it but like Jeremiah it burns within me and I have to shine it forth. How I truly love him and despite the mess that I make of me at times, I have to shout out His name.

When I think of the word light  I am also reminded of the Light of the World who we represent. One of my favorite passages in the book of Isaiah is found in Is. 8:19-9:7 Israel had fallen upon hard times due to their sin. The nation that had once seen the Shekinah glory now walked in darkness. Israel now inquired of mediums and necromancers who chirped and muttered talking to the dead for guidance. They no longer looked to the teachings of God and no longer had the dawn of light upon them. Looking for help from the earth they were now thrust into thick darkness.

I don’t know about you but a light in the darkness is sometimes the thing that I need the most. I get lost or I stumble along the way to my destination. I need some guidance and I need some help. I cry out in the darkness unsure, lost and sometimes a feeling of hopelessness creeps into my heart. I fear the gloom that covers me.

I love Is. 9:2 which tells me that, “the people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness on them has light shined.” Like the land of Israel I have come out of the darkness into the light that shines. No longer blind, we as believers now walk in the glorious light of Christ.
The light has come into the world to offer us hope. How? Is. 9:6 says it best, “ For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Jesus has come brothers and sisters, this one who is called the Light of the World. John 3:19, John 8:12 and John 12:36 He is the light of the world that shines through the darkness. This child in Isaiah was not just some simple child but he is also the Mighty God and Prince of Peace.

As a followers of the Lamb and the Light of the world he now calls me to shine forth to this  world his life to all. We are to walk as children of light. Eph. 5:8  We are to be, “blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.” Phil. 2:15

So during this blessed season, may we show forth to this world that is covered in darkness, the light of Christ in our life. We are the ones who are called to bring them hope. Just keep in your mind the following words…

“This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine.”

No comments: