Thursday, December 2, 2010

CRY BABY?

      In a world that it is saturated with a, "feel good gospel," and lets, "be careful or we might offend someone." I can understand why the Old Testament has almost been neglected by many today. Yet, if you really want to shake the place up even more, start reading from the Old Testament prophets. In hearing some people talk they have become like an unwanted step child who is hidden from the world. When one limits his reading by not reading  from these precious books we wind up with a distorted picture of who our God truly is. (Images of a coming Messiah, sin and its consequences, restoration and a true vision of the King of Kings are thrown to the side when we hear not the Old Testament prophets.)


     As I read more of His Word I have found myself drawn to the prophet Jeremiah. You know the one who always gets the bum wrap about being the WEEPING PROPHET. Yet when this man of God wept there was always a good reason. I give you the following 2 verses as an example.



Jeremiah 9:1 ( ESV )


1    £Oh that my head were waters,    and my eyes a fountain of tears,    that I might weep day and night    for the slain of the daughter of my people!





Jeremiah 13:17 ( ESV )


17    But if you will not listen,    my soul will weep in secret for your pride;    my eyes will weep bitterly and run down with tears,    because the Lord’s flock has been taken captive.


     Jeremiah had a lot to weep about as he saw the consequences that were coming and that would take place because of Israel's sin. In 8:22 just before 9:1 he shouts out, "Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there?" He wept over a people who would no longer listen to the Lord because of their pride. You know at one time in my prayer life I wept often over the lost, my own sin as well as my brothers and sisters who were straying far from the fold. I remember a day that whenever I heard the old Gospel hymn, "For you I am praying," I would kneel and pray for my brother that he would come to know Jesus. ( I thank the Lord daily that he did come to know Him.) My first lesson from Jeremiah is, Lord teach me to weep once again over the things that are important to you.


     I challenge both my readers as well as myself though to also apply so many other of this man of God's characteristics to our life. Think about the following things as you read about Jeremiah. 



  1.  Jer. 1:5 Even while I was in my mother's womb God knew me and has set us apart for a purpose.
  2.  Jer. 1:6-9 No matter how young we are God wants us to go forth and to not be afraid for He will give us words to speak.
  3. Jer. 1:10-18 We are asked to give a message of truth to the world above all else. This message contains within it the truths about the consequences and judgment of sin. When a person truly sees their sin then and only then can they see their need of a savior who wants to deliver them.
  4. Jer. 1:19 We need to toughen up like Jeremiah as he is told that the message he gives out will cause even his own to fight against him. Yet, he is also told the enemy will not prevail for the Lord would be with him.
  5. Jer. 16:1-2 These verses stand out to me because God will command Jeremiah to never marry. Think about that for a minute his life is hard enough already. He will have to go through this life by himself alone. (I can't imagine my life without Julie.) There will be times brothers and sisters where we like Jeremiah will have to go it all alone when we stand for Him. (Remember during those times, He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone.)
  6. Constantly through the book we see how that the greatest of Jeremiah's persecutions were not from Israel's enemies but rather from Jeremiah's very own people. He would be humiliated and even thrown into a miry pit.
  7. Like us He would cry out to the Lord for understanding when things did not make sense at all as in Jer. 32:16-24. (esp. v. 25) Its during those times of me not understanding what God is doing that I am reminded of the Lord's words in Jeremiah 32:27, "Behold, I am the Lord the God of all flesh, Is anything to hard for me?"
  8. Jer. 36 Reminds me that there will always be though who will wish to destroy the Lord's Word.  (Look at Jer. 36:22-26 on how evil king Jehoiakim was in the destruction of the Word of God.) Yet, I am reminded that God's Word will prevail.
  9. In the darkest of hours God will one day rescue us from the cistern's of this life. Jer. 38:7-13.
     There are so many other lessons from this man of God's life. May God allow us to be as faithful as this servant of God. My prayer is that you and I will learn more about the prophets as we read through these incredible books.

Looks like the gang had turned against me.



.

No comments: