Thursday, November 8, 2012

Searching for light in the darkness of insanity.


Had a great night last night at Calvary as our class watched the film series, Work as Worship. The films that we have seen have been outstanding and a challenge to all of those who are in the workforce either as an employer or an employee. 

     I want to work in such a way that it will draw men to our savior. I want my Christianity to not only be heard but seen by my actions. I believe that the world also wants to see that difference. I was reminded of this truth when I heard the following lyrics being sung.

“As I walk through this wicked world,
Searching for LIGHT in the darkness of INSANITY,
I ask myself is all HOPE lost?
Is there only pain and hatred and misery?”**

     You may be asking what Christian wrote this song? The answer may surprise you in that it was sung by the old rocker, Elvis Costello. As far as I know he has never made a profession of faith. Yet, those words should haunt us as believers when we go to our workplaces. Some of our friends and co-workers are looking for LIGHT in this insane and dark world. Some of our friends and co-workers have lost all hope and their lives are marked by hatred and misery. Will we introduce to them the LIGHT of the world? They need to see the truth lived out before them not just the words.

     One of the ways that they can see hope, is how we handle ourselves at the workplace. Are we known as men and women of integrity? Are we known for our work ethic or our laziness? Are we known for having a speech that honors our Lord or is it just as vulgar? Do we show compassion and concern for their needs? Do we make ourselves visible or go off into our own little corner during lunch time or breaks?

     Listen, we all blow it and are not always perfect with our testimonies. I can testify to that myself. Yet, brothers and sisters they need to know that we care, they need to know the difference, to see it with their eyes and to hear it with their ears. Let us gladly bring our Jesus into our workplaces with us. Let us act as the servants of God that we were called to be.

“As I walked through troubled times,
My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes,
So where are the STRONG and WHO are the TRUSTED?
And where is the harmony? Sweet harmony.”**

(**What’s so funny “Bout Peace, Love and Understanding, Nick Lowe)

     Father, help us to be known as those who are STRONG in your power. (Eph. 6:10) Help us to be those who can be TRUSTED. So that we may proclaim you in all that we do to a world covered in darkness. Help us to share the truth about the LIGHT of the world.

No comments: