Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Psalms 42 Thirsting after the streams of LIVING WATERS


Psalms 42:1-2 ( ESV )

1 As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.

2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?£

When I have been asked what my favorite verses in the Bible are these are the two verses that I will always say are my life verses. As was brought out in an earlier blog the pursuit of God should be our greatest obsession in life. It should even be more important than the question of, “What would you have me to do Lord?” Paul got it right on the Damascus road when his first question to the Lord was, “Who are you Lord?”

David paints a beautiful picture of this truth in verse one. There is nothing more awesome than to be by a stream of water and to see how God provides even for a sparrow. David brushes on the canvas a picture of a deer that is intent to satisfy its thirst by the water that is flowing before it. Don’t miss the picture here as the deer is drinking from flowing streams. The water was not stagnant but rather flowing. Jesus would tell the woman from Samaria that, “whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:15 Jesus is the water of eternal life and he offers it freely towards us.

Water is the most basic need for any living thing on this earth. The deer has to have the water in order to live, survive and flourish. He wants us to consume Him, to be filled with Him. Only He can satisfy our greatest need and only He can offer us life. So we need to pant after Him.

We do not serve some dead teacher but rather the Living God. He is not dead. He is not silent. He does see. He does feel our sorrows and He is touched by our prayers, thoughts and grief. The words spoken by the angels over 2,000 years ago are still true, “He is not here, He is risen.”

As David drinks in His relationship with Jesus, he cannot wait until the day that he will appear before God.


Psalms 42:3-5 ( ESV )

3 My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me continually, “Where is your God?”

4 These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I would go with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God with glad shouts and songs of praise, a multitude keeping festival.

5 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation£

David shifts to his current reality and life here on earth and realizes that there are those who will mock God. The prophets spoke that this would always be true. There will always be those who according to Psalms 14 play the part of the fool. They will cry out, ‘Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.” II Peter 3:4

Yet, this God who is not able to be seen by us will one day be seen. He can also be seen as David makes note in verse 4 by the praises of His people and the joy that they have in serving Him. He remembers how the Living God still walks among His people.

David struggles with the situations that he is involved in like any of us who are followers of the Lamb. In the end though in this passage David will also say, “Why are you cast down, O my soul and why are you in turmoil with me?” He brings this up here in verse 5,10 and also in verse 6. In the midst of the storm and feeling as though he is cast down, David shouts out words of hope for the weary, “HOPE in God; for I shall again praise Him, MY SALVATION, and MY GOD.” In the midst of the struggle brothers and sisters there is Hope. How and why can I say this with confidence in my heart? One: He will, one day deliver us from what we are going through. Two: He is not just somebody else’s God but MY GOD.


Psalms 42:6-10 ( ESV )

6and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.

7 Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me.

8 By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

9 I say to God, my rock: “Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”

10 As with a deadly wound in my bones, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me continually, “Where is your God?”

There are other waters in our life as well. All of a sudden we feel as though we might be drowning. We just want to come up for air. The waters from the North Country come swirling about our heads. Waterfalls pour over our souls and we are covered by the waves that brake over us through the dark. Like the disciples of old, we cry out, “Wake up master the storm is all around us,” only to see that He is the one who is the master over the winds, and the waves.

Look closely at verse 7 these are His waterfalls and His waves. The Lord is allowing things in our lives to grow us, mature us and make us more dependent upon Him. This I promise to you and believe, He will never allow anything in our lives that through Him we can’t handle. He is there for us like Peter and we can take His hand through it all.

David’s struggles were real as we see in the following verses. How many of us have felt like David did at times? Not only do we get covered by the waves and the storms of life but sometimes we feel as though our Father has forsaken us. We go into a state of mourning over losses in our life or how our enemies may treat us. We may even receive verbal persecution for our faith. When those times come and they will, we must ask ourselves the following questions in verse 11 and live out the last part of the verse.

 
Psalms 42:11 ( ESV )

11 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

No matter what may happen, no matter what turmoil or pain that takes place within our soul. HOPE IN GOD. Realize that we can PRAISE HIM, For He alone is our SALVATION and no matter how hard the waves may break over us HE IS OUR GOD.

No comments: