Saturday, January 14, 2012

For those who might lose heart.


Ephesians 3:13 ( ESV )

13So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which is your glory.

     Going through the book of Ephesians has been such a blessing to my heart this time around. What a true blessing it has been to see God’s amazing grace. As I read this passage I am reminded though of how at times I am tempted or that I do lose heart in my journey. Yet, what a true joy I had today in reading this passage and others that deal with this very issue.

     What are some things that I should do in light of possibly losing heart? Well for one in this passage and its immediate context I should pray as Paul does in Ephesians 3:16


Ephesians 3:16 ( ESV )

16that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being,

     Many are the time that I grow weary, even in well doing. The real issue quite often is that I get caught up with doing things in my flesh and relying upon my own inadequate power. Father, help me to rely upon your Spirit and His power alone. For only you can strengthen my inner man. This is my prayer daily, that I will rely upon the Spirit of God and His power. What can I offer of my own abilities? He alone wishes to give to me the very riches of His glory.

     He wants to pour out from the abundance of Heaven his mercy upon us. What an incredible concept. I need to submit to Him in all things dying to self and being raised by His power to continue on through the day.

     The first thing I need to do in not losing heart is to be strengthened by the power of the Spirit of God. Now as I went through my quiet time I saw a second thing that I should do to not lose heart.


Luke 18:1 ( ESV )

1And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.

     One of the huge keys to not losing heart is to be constant in prayer. As Jesus told this parable he brought up how a widow came to a judge who did not fear God or man. He was not one who was easily moved but hardened to the cries of his people. Yet, when this woman kept coming to him with her need he finally gave in to her request.

     Jesus is far from this type of man. He is concerned about the cries of his children. He has heard me before I have even uttered a word to Him.  I must keep in mind that my God will deal justly. He will deal with me as one of His dear children. This is a promise He has made in the passage. He will be good on His word.

     In the midst of the battle He wants me to cry out constantly to His throne. Isn’t that unusual, one of the things to keep us from losing heart is to keep on keeping on in prayer.  By being constant in prayer it also helps us to keep our focus on Him and not the trial before us.

Philippians 4:6-7 ( ESV )

6do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

     When we keep our focus upon Him in prayer we stop being so worried. In my prayers I cry out to Him with a heavy heart. Yet, while I am praying to Him, He reminds me of all the things that I should be thankful for. My worries though still real and still there become smaller when I reflect on His goodness towards me and those whom He loves.

     I can make my request known to Him and it is never a dreary thing to Him. He wants me to communicate to Him and share my fears and desires. When I do this I can reflect upon how He has brought me safe thus far and how He will lead me home.

     Sometimes it doesn’t even make any sense at all but that is when despite all the odds His peace will surpass all of these things. His plan and desires for me will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

     You do not grow weary of my persistent prayers Father as you have said in your Word. “Call unto me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things that you know not of.”


Joshua 1:9 ( ESV )

9Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

     Lastly we can be strong and courageous as He will be with us wherever we go. Like the Israelites of old God had promised them their land and He went before them. They did not know what to expect or what might happen next. They put their feet out into the vast unknown knowing this fact; God would be with them wherever they went.

     Lastly, when I am about to lose heart I know that I have a Father that will go with me and even before me. He would tell His disciples these same words as He left them, “And behold I am with you always even to the end of the age.”

     So remember when we are about to lose heart…1. Cry out to Him for the fullness of His Spirit’s power.  2. Be constant in prayer. 3. Remember that He will always be with us no matter what. Don’t lose heart.

No comments: