Friday, July 1, 2011

God's Good Hand

Nehemiah 2:1-2 ( ESV )


1In the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was before him, I took up the wine and gave it to the king. Now I had not been sad in his presence.


2And the king said to me, “Why is your face sad, seeing you are not sick? This is nothing but sadness of the heart.” Then, I was very much afraid.
    
The anticipation was now over. The time has come. Nehemiah had waited patiently upon the Lord for four months. He had diligently served his king during that time. I do not know if he had planned to tell the king, upon that particular day, what troubled his heart. I do know this, he could not keep it within him any longer. His heart was beyond burdened and troubled and it showed even in his face.

     One of the last things that a king would want to see was a servant with a sad face. He had enough problems, worries and concerns of his own. People who entered into his presence with a sorrowful countenance were not looked upon well. It looked bad for the king and for his kingdom, to carry on this way. As a matter of fact, often kings would banish their servants or have them killed when they acted this way. The king saw Nehemiah’s countenance and knew his heart was burdened. We are now told in the narrative that Nehemiah was very much afraid. What would he say to the king?

Nehemiah 2:3-4 ( ESV )


3I said to the king, “Let the king live forever! Why should not my face be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers’ graves, lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?”


4Then the king said to me, “What are you requesting?” So I prayed to the God of heaven.

    I love how Nehemiah answers his king. He first praises his king and that he would reign forever. I don’t think he used the words just to get his way. I think he truly had grown to care for his king. He then, answers the king’s question with a question. By asking the king a question, he was trying to place the king in his own shoes. How would you feel if the tombs of your father’s were lying in ruins? Would you feel safe if the gates of your city had been destroyed?
  
   Artaxerxes looks at his beloved cup bearer and basically asks, “What do you want?” Imagine that. Let that one settle on your brain for a while. The king of one of the greatest empires of the world, has now asked you, “What do you want?” Artaxerxes was a great king to Nehemiah. Nehemiah, as well as you and I, serve an even greater King. When we have a saddened face and our burden is too heavy to bear, the Lord of Glory asks, “What do you want?” He has at His hand, all of the riches of glory to bestow upon us. Come to Him with your burden and heavy heart, weep at the Master’s feet for He hears the voice of His sheep.
  
   What was Nehemiah’s first reaction when he heard King Artaxerxes question? At that very moment, He needed to go to a greater King and he quickly prayed to the God of Heaven. How much time passed? We have no idea. I do not believe Nehemiah took long but rather quickly prayed to God for help. At the same time, Nehemiah knew that he needed God’s wisdom, before he could go on with the conversation. Is that true in my life? Are my choices marked by prayer? I believe that during these last four months, Nehemiah had prayed and fasted often to the God of Heaven.


Nehemiah 2:5-8 ( ESV )


5And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, that you send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers’ graves, that I may rebuild it.”


6And the king said to me (the queen sitting beside him), “How long will you be gone, and when will you return?” So it pleased the king to send me when I had given him a time.


7And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, let letters be given me to the governors of the province Beyond the River, that they may let me pass through until I come to Judah,


8and a letter to Asaph, the keeper of the king’s forest, that he may give me timber to make beams for the gates of the fortress of the temple, and for the wall of the city, and for the house that I shall occupy.” And the king granted me what I asked, for the good hand of my God was upon me.


    Nehemiah already had a plan that he needed the king to approve. For four months Nehemiah was able to think about what was the great need of his people. For four months, Nehemiah was able to seek God’s wisdom and what He would have him to do. I do not believe that like in James 1 he told God what to do. God what is your will for me and for your people had been constantly upon his lips. Even in his quick prayer to God, God had heard his voice and answered him.

    Nehemiah made two request of the king. The first request would have touched the king’s heart. Nehemiah asked the King to let him rebuild his Father’s tombs. The King then ask, “How long will you be gone and what about your return?” Nehemiah tells the king and it pleased him to answer this request. Please don’t read into this passage to much but in the same way, when we make request to our God, it pleases Him to answer our request. I believe the Father rejoices when he answers his children’s request.

    Nehemiah’s second request dealt with the need for letters to be given to him. The first group of letters would allow him safe passage with his group as they went back to Judah. He would need protection from the king as he went upon his journey. The second letter was to be to the keeper of the king’s forest so that he could get lumber for the rebuilding of the temple, wall and his home. All of these things the king granted.

     Artaxerxes had allowed all of Nehemiah’s plans and dreams to now be carried forth. What an incredible bond these two men must have had in their lives. Wait a second. Hold on. I believe that Nehemiah had a true bond with his king. The real beauty of this passage lies in the last words of verse 8. “For the good hand of my God was upon me.” The real reason why Artaxerxes answered Nehemiah’s request was God’s good hand was upon Nehemiah. What a blessing to know that God is guiding us with his hand. Yes, He, even He has us in the palm of His hand and will lead us safely home.

No comments: