Monday, October 11, 2010

The Name of Jesus

Something that I have told teens, young adults and older ones through the years is how it amazes me how that we can talk with the majority of people all day long about God. When I do this I am always reminded of how easy the conversation can be and how non-threating. Yet, the moment I start to use the name of Jesus, when I talk about the God man, note how quickly the conversation changes.

For the believer I sense an ease, or even a joy that seems to come at that moment. It's like introducing an old friend into the conversation. For the unbeliever though it's something entirely different. Often a change in conversation seems to be soon at hand. Nerves are sometimes set on edge. Sometimes the talk now changes to even anger.

God is one issue but Jesus that is an entirely different subject. I believe that Jesus is the God man that we read about in John 1:1 and John 1:14. He is not the Father but He is God by His very own words. That name though Jesus offends and I believe that the reason it offends is found in Philippians 2:9-11 "Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." When that name is used there will always be this truth, at this name every knee will one day bow. It does not matter whether saved or not.

No other name has or ever will bring more controversy, more passionate arguments and more emotions.This is the name that will divide families apart This is the name though that alone can bring peace and hope to a dying world.  This is the name that the angels will sing forth through out all of eternity. This is the name that I will forever be more then happy to speak of at all times. This is the name above all names and the name Jesus will always be the sweetest name I know.

No comments: