Saturday, September 15, 2012

SHE


Her once darker hair is now covered with gray. There are lines in her face which tells the stories of years of sacrifice that can never be repaid. Yet, she is more beautiful to me than the most beautiful of women that that this world proclaims. Just a smile from her face offers me hope throughout the day.

She has never felt comfortable in the spotlight or the applause of men. She would rather be DOING than seeking to BE someone. My greatest of joys is to see the giving heart that she has. I am still amazed at how she will go out of her way to help someone who is in need. I wish that I could say that I have that heart but for her it comes naturally. It is who she is.

My girls are who they are because of her love for them. She has been their mother, their teacher and now that they are older she has become their friend. They still pile up on her when they are at home, clinging to her words of affirmation. She has cheered them on, put them to bed, held them in her arms through the hard times. Her hands have been that of a servant to her girls.

She has been true to her promise even though I have often failed. Our song was the old America song, “I need you.” As I grow older those words could not be more true to me then they are now. I do need her like the flower needs the rain.

 She has chased my dreams, fought with me, cried with me and prayed with me. Her love has never let me go. She has been forever faithful. When I have been at my ugliest she has still been there for me. She has been the best friend that anyone could ever have.

I have written poems about her but none of them have ever truly expressed how I feel.  You see like many of you I just can’t find the words. I feel inadequate in trying to put my thoughts down. For those of you who know me it’s the only time where I feel clumsy in expressing myself.

Just the mention of her name or a smile from her face makes me feel complete and whole. When I know that she is behind me my world makes sense. I feel like a young man in his twenties who like Caleb can take the mountain, slay the dragons and fight the foes.

What a gift God has given to us. The two have become one. What a treasure! What a jewel is the love of a wife for her man.

JULIE AND HANNAH

HADASSAH, JULIE AND HANNAH

No comments: