Wednesday, November 9, 2011

ALIVE AND KICKING


    Well here I am sitting on one of the couches in the middle of the week. I had to come back home as our boss with the temp job finally succumbed to one nasty cold. I wanted to tell all of you thanks for praying as I was able to get a temp job doing inventory work for one of the local companies here in Lincoln. The Lord was very kind in allowing me a job that so far I have been able to understand and be faithful at. I like the guys that I am working with as well. Pray that I might keep a good testimony.

     Julie has been able to spend time with her mom, dad, sisters and her brother Lyle. Haddy has taken full advantage of spending some weekend time with her aunts and has had a blast. (One of her highlights was getting a ride on her uncle’s Harley all the way from Omaha to Lincoln.)

     We have been going to Calvary Community Church since we have arrived here. This is the church that Julie grew up in. We have been so grateful for the kindness shown to us by the pastors. (Pastor Carl has been with the church as their founding pastor for around 38 years.) Julie has also been able to visit with old friends and loved ones who impacted her life for the Lord.

     As of right now we will be leaving for Grand Rapids on Friday the 11th – 14th in view of a call to the pastorate there. I have been at the church already one time and this time Julie will be going with me. So as usual I ask that you might pray for us that the church and we will be sensitive to the Lord’s leading. I so badly want to preach again but more importantly I want to do what He would have us to do.

     The weather here is starting to cool down and Hannah has told us that she has had a snowfall of about 6-8 inches. She is doing great and we are so proud of her as she is enjoying her classes. I think she said that she got about a 3.2 on her mid-terms. We are planning on seeing her for Thanksgiving.

     My quiet times have been great here of late as I have been going through II Kings and studying the life of Elisha. I am amazed at a man who is constantly called a man of God through all the passages. Many times his name is not even used but the term man of God is often used. One woman who knew him well says to her husband, “A holy man of God passes by our way continually.”

     I think the above is true because Elisha had a constant awareness of the presence of God. One of my favorite passages about Him dealing with this issue is found in II Kings 6. The king of Syria has had enough of Elisha being told by God about his plans against Israel. The king’s solution is to seize Elisha with an army. Think about it an army with horses and chariots to just bring in one man. There were so many of them that they surrounded the city of Dothan.

     I wish that I could say that I had Elisha’s awareness of the presence of God. I am afraid I would have acted like his servant who in seeing the situation with only his physical eyes asks, “What shall we do?” There is where I get into trouble. I want to know what I CAN DO about the situation. The Lord though wants us to get to the point of there is nothing that I CAN DO. It’s His battle and not mine. I need to shout out at times, “Open my eyes that I may see.”

     The situations, moments of desperation and fears will never be larger than the God who surrounds us.  When the servant’s eyes are open he sees God’s army has filled the mountain side with horses and chariots of fire surrounding their enemy.

     Elisha’s servant eyes are open while the King of Syria’s men are blinded. The one who just moments earlier was to be a captive is now the conqueror. Isn’t that just like God? He wants to show Himself strong to us. He takes joy in setting the captive free. I believe that it thrills Him when we humble our hearts and allow Him to display His glory.

     May we see the presence of the Lord. May we allow Him to show Himself strong in our lives. 


SHE IS SOOOO BEAUTIFUL.

OK. THEY ARE A LITTLE WARPED!!

WHAT A GIRL!

No comments: